Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole has it all – deliciously creamy sweet potatoes with tangy pineapple topped with a crunchy crumble layer. Its sure to become a family favorite at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Make sure you PIN this one because you are going to want to try it!
I found the basis for this recipe the first year I was married – 27 years ago. As time has passed, I have tweaked it, healthified it and now it is – The Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe (if I do say so myself).
This sweet potato casserole recipe started as a sickening sweet,
almost dessert-like casserole, but through many Thanksgiving holidays and Christmases I have changed it and it has now morphed into this amazing side dish.
Many of you know about my 125 lb weight loss, but if you don’t you can check out my story here.
I used to LOVE the sickening sweet version, but now as I have changed my behavior, my tastes have changed, too. I want to taste the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and pineapple, not the sugar.
I have never been one for the marshmallow topped, ooey, gooey dish. Who created that recipe anyway? I much prefer this crunchy, creamy, full of texture and deliciousness one.
I’m going to give you the long, healthier version of this sweet potato casserole, but if you are crunched for time (no judgement here), then open a can of sweet potatoes and pineapple (organic, if possible) and save yourself some time.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you. Most likely, you have a lot of these in your cupboard and its so worth it!
Ready to get cooking? Here you go!
Best Ever Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a small bowl make chia eggs by adding 5 tablespoons water to 2 tablespoons chia seeds and let sit for 5 minutes until thick.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves.
- Mix in pineapple and chia eggs and transfer to a large baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix in oats, brown sugar, pecans, flour, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil. Mix until moistened. Add a small amount of water if necessary. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned.
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.
P.S. If you love sweet potatoes you will LOVE this Sweet Potato Salad recipe, too!