It doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup! This plant based soup is the perfect low carb lunch or dinner. It’s full of flavor, yet its low fat, low calorie, and low cholesterol. It’s great for meal prep and its freezer friendly!
This Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup is just that – simple, but so complex in flavor. I highly recommend using garden fresh tomatoes when possible, they will send this soup over the top with flavor.
Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup
Do you remember eating canned tomato soup? Maybe you still do.
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I used to LOVE that soup! It was an easy meal. I usually paired it with a greasy grilled cheese, so it would be over-the-top unhealthy, however I thought it was a light meal.
The classic brand canned tomato soup is only 225 calories a can and its no fat, but did you know it has over 50% of the daily SODIUM recommendation? Did you also know that it has 30 grams of SUGAR?! That’s is 7 and a half teaspoons!
Plus, it has high fructose corn syrup which has been linked to serious health issues like obesity, diabetes and heart disease. It also has NATURAL FLAVORING, which may or may not be monosodium glutamate, aka MSG. MSG can cause all sorts of reactions like headaches, facial pressure, numbness, drowsiness and tingling. If you’ve ever experienced a reaction to MSG you know you want to avoid it.
I decided to make my own Vegetable Bouillon Powder and make this Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup as healthy as possible.
REMEMBER TO PIN THIS FOR LATER!
This vegetable bouillon powder adds incredible flavor to soups, stock and chowders, plus it is quick and easy to make. You can feel good about this healthy bouillon because it is free from chemicals and additives.
IS THIS SIMPLE 20 MINUTE TOMATO SOUP HEALTHY? ARE TOMATOES HEALTHY?
When you cook at home you are in control of the ingredients. We’re not putting HFCS or MSG in it, so its definitely better than canned.
This soup is low fat, no cholesterol and low calorie, but oh, so good! Read more about the health benefits of tomatoes.
Onto the recipe…
Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup
- 12 garden fresh tomatoes could sub a 28 oz canned tomatoes
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth https://intentionallyeat.com/vegetable-bouillon-powder/
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat broiler on high.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2" slices and place on cookie sheet. Place unpeeled garlic cloves on cookie sheet. Spray tomatoes and garlic with olive oil. Broil on high for 5 minutes.
- While broiling tomatoes and garlic, saute onion in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add broiled tomatoes to the onions and continue to cook over medium heat. Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin and place in pot with tomatoes and onions.
- Add veggie stock, tomato sauce, sugar, basil, salt & pepper. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Use a stick blender or carefully place soup in a blender (it's hot so blend in small batches if using a blender) and puree until smooth. Strain if you want a smoother texture (but you're losing fiber) and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
NEED HELP ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
JOIN MY FUN-N-FIT GROUP!
28 MINUTE WORKOUTS, 5X’S A WEEK, IN YOUR HOME
HEALTHY EATING PLAN EVERY WEEK
+ THE SUPPORT YOU NEED
FIND OUT MORE –CLICK HERE.
Some things you will want to make this Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup: