These Spring Rolls are a touchdown of texture and a field goal of flavor. This low calorie appetizer has everything from the crispiness of the phyllo cup, sweetness of carrots, savoriness of onion and cabbage, the subtle saltiness of the amino acids, and the crunch of peanuts. The flavors are abundant in this deconstructed spring roll.
Spring Rolls Deconstructed and Delicious are one of my favorite appetizers.
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I never liked Asian food. I’m not a fan of sauces, so I think it was all of the soy sauce, duck sauce, ginger sauce – it’s too much for me. Now that I have lost 125 lbs, I have learned to ask for what I need at restaurants. I request the sauce on the side or no sauce at all. I’m much happier and I can actually taste vegetables instead of the sauce.
What is Phyllo or is it Filo dough?
It doesn’t really matter which spelling you use, either way its a very thin unleavened dough used for making pastries such as baklava. Phyllo based pastries are made by layering many sheets of filo brushed with oil then baking it.
What size are Phyllo sheets?
Phyllo sheets are typically 18 x 14, but you can cut them into whatever size you need. If you are in a hurry you can always get store bought phyllo cups. Watch the video below and see how easy they are to make!
Is Filo dough healthy?
According to Healthyfood.com, Filo dough has a huge health advantage because there is no fat in the mix. It is made solely from flour and water. In this Spring Roll Deconstructed and Delicious, fat – in the form of oil – is brushed on the layers as they are assembled for the low calorie appetizer.
Spring Rolls Deconstructed and Delicious
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 Tbsp peanuts, chopped optional
- 2 green onions, chopped optional
- sriracha optional
- 3 phyllo sheets
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently unroll the phyllo sheets onto parchment paper. Cover the top with a damp towel so the sheets don't dry out.
- Place one sheet onto the mini muffin tin and brush with olive oil. Repeat two more times for a total of three sheets.
- Cut horizontally and vertically along the lines of the muffin tin.
- Press the center of each square and form the cup.
- Bake 6-8 minutes.
Spring Roll Deconstructed and Delicious Filling
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, and cabbage for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, liquid aminos, ginger and red pepper flakes and saute 2 minutes.
- Place filling into phyllo cups and garnish with green onions, chopped peanuts and/or sriracha. Enjoy
Remember to PIN this for later!
If you want even more apps to choose from, then check out this Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip! YUM!
Did you make Spring Rolls Deconstructed and Delicious?
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.