Black beans in brownies? Heck yes! Don’t let the beans fool you, these black bean brownies are delicious, nutritious and ultra fudgy!
If you are like me and you love chocolate, but you also love being healthy then I encourage you to give these a try. I have tested them out on “normal” people. You know the ones that love rich, chocolately desserts and refuse anything health related. Well, I can assure you that they enjoyed them. They knew there was something different about them, but they couldn’t put their finger on it. Try them for yourself and see if you think they taste “healthy”.
If you are looking for more black bean recipes, try this one!
3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1/4 cup coconut or olive oil
2 flax eggs, or egg replacement (For each flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of
water. Stir well, and place in the fridge to set for 15 minutes.)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup flour (try whole wheat or gluten-free)
1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Optional : nuts and/or coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×9 square baking pan.
2. In a blender, blend black beans and oil. Add flax eggs or egg replacement, cocoa, sugar, coffee (optional), and vanilla.
3. Melt 1/2 the chocolate chips and add to mixture. Blend everything until smooth.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to blender and pulse until just incorporated.
5. Stir in remaining chocolate chips and nuts or coconut.
6. Pour into pan and bake about 20 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
When you tell your friends and family that they are eating black beans you can also tell them that these brownies have good fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin B6 and they can help lower cholesterol and decrease the risk of heart disease. Wow! Black beans rock!
When you taste these, tag me on Instagram or Facebook! I would love to hear from you!
If you can’t make it now, remember to put a Pin in it!