Jackfruit simmered in a simple tomatillo salsa verde and slathered over corn tortillas! Drizzle it with a spicy cashew cheese sauce and dinner is served! This gluten free, vegan verde will please everyone’s taste buds!
Do you love Mexican food? Who doesn’t?! Are you tired of the same tacos or burritos? Have you ever tried jackfruit? It’s so easy to cook and this Jackfruit Verde is so tangy, fresh and best of all SIMPLE to make!
I know what your wondering —
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a giant fruit that’s often used as a meat substitute. Learn more about the health benefits of eating jackfruit by clicking HERE.
Is Jackfruit nutritious?
Jackfruit is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin B6 and fiber. It doesn’t have a lot of protein, however it has no cholesterol and very little fat.
What does jackfruit taste like?
Jackfruit, like tofu, will take on the flavor of the seasonings or sauces that you use. It mimics the texture of pork or chicken when its shredded. That’s why I chose to use it in this verde, when traditionally pork is used.
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I used to pop the top on a jar of salsa and “cheese” sauce and polish off most of them in one sitting. Now that I intentionally eat, I make my own salsas and cashew cheese, so I can control the amount of sodium and ingredients. Plus it tastes SO MUCH BETTER!
This Simple Salsa Verde is the underdog in this Jackfruit Verde!
Save yourself some time, make extra salsa and freeze it for a future Taco Tuesday or any night you want to dip a chip. I love these BPA free, Locking Lid Containers for storing leftovers.
Tastes: spicy, acidic, tart, refreshing
Feels like: walking through freshly mowed grass
Onto the recipe!
- 1 can jackfruit, canned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups Simple Salsa Verde https://intentionallyeat.com/simple-salsa-verde/
- 12 Healthy Homemade Corn Tortillas https://intentionallyeat.com/healthy-homemade-corn-tortillas/
- 1/2 cup Spicy Cashew Cheese Sauce https://intentionallyeat.com/spicy-cashew-cheese-sauce/
- tomatoes, diced optional topping
- cilantro, chopped optional topping
- green onions, chopped optional topping
- radish, sliced optional topping
- Drain and rinse jackfruit, remove the core and seeds as necessary. Chop or shred jackfruit into bite sized pieces.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add oil. Saute onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add jackfruit and season with cumin. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the Simple Salsa Verde and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over warm Healthy Homemade Corn Tortillas and top with Spicy Cashew Cheese Sauce. Optional toppings include tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, radish or anything else you enjoy!
Remember to PIN this for later!
Be sure to top this Jackfruit Verde with Spicy Cashew Cheese Sauce. Its easy to make and will take your dish to the next level!
If you have time, I HIGHLY recommend making your own Healthy Homemade Corn Tortillas. They have a slightly corny, chewy texture that will make your Jackfruit Verde a meal to remember. Plus, you can freeze the extra tortillas for your next fiesta.
Make sure you follow on PINTEREST or FACEBOOK and find more healthy recipes!
If you love this Jackfruit Verde, try this Quick & Healthy Taco Salad!
It’s fresh and delicious!
Looking for jackfruit? Here’s one of the brands I use and that price is for several cans.
NEED HELP ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
JOIN MY FUN-N-FIT GROUP!
28 MINUTE WORKOUTS, 5X’S A WEEK, IN YOUR HOME
HEALTHY EATING PLAN EVERY WEEK
+ THE SUPPORT YOU NEED
FIND OUT MORE –CLICK HERE.
Looking for like minded people? Join the Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.