It doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this Skinny Taco Soup! This plant based soup is full of flavor, yet its low fat, low calorie, and low cholesterol. It’s sure to be a hit at your house!
Skinny Taco Soup
Do you remember eating taco soup that had dry ranch seasoning in it?
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I used to LOVE that soup! It was so easy to make and you would have leftovers for days. It was great…
Until I realized how incredibly unhealthy it was. The old recipe borders on 300 calories a cup, not to mention its high in fat, cholesterol and sodium. Plus, if you use the popular brand of dry ranch seasoning mix the first two ingredients are salt and monosodium glutamate, aka MSG. MSG can cause all sorts of reactions like headaches, facial pressure, numbness, drowsiness and tingling. If you’ve ever experienced a reaction to MSG you know you want to avoid it.
I decided to make my own homemade dry ranch seasoning mix and make it as healthy as possible. Obviously, I eliminated the MSG, but I also eliminated the dairy and soy. I cut back on the sodium and if you want, you could completely eliminate the salt.
Remember to PIN this for later!
Is Taco Soup Healthy?
When you cook at home you are in control of the ingredients. For instance, if you are trying to lower your sodium intake you will want to eliminate the salt in the homemade dry ranch seasoning mix. If you are wanting to avoid soy, opt out of using soy crumbles.
This Skinny Taco Soup is high in fiber, low fat, no cholesterol and low calorie, but oh, so good! Read more about the health benefits of beans.
Is Taco Soup Gluten Free?
Yes, its naturally gluten free, so enjoy! Be sure to serve gluten free crackers if that is a concern.
How do you make 8 can taco soup or how do you make taco soup with ranch seasoning – healthy?
It’s so easy you won’t believe it and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry. First, make your Homemade Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix, your Vegetable Bouillon Powder and then check out this recipe.
Skinny Taco Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup soy crumbles (optional)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 Tbsp Homemade Dry Ranch Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp pepper (I like white)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (or more for heat)
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, saute the onion, poblano and soy crumbles in 2 Tbsp of the vegetable broth for 5 minutes. Add more broth as necessary. (This eliminates the need for oil.)
- Season with Homemade Dry Ranch Seasoning, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and adobo powder. Stir until coated.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, chiles and corn. Stir until well combined. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Top with cilantro, dairy free sour cream or yogurt and enjoy!
If you love soup, check out this Quick & Easy Black Bean Soup or this Easy Roasted Cauliflower Chowder!
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.