Tex-Mex Spaghetti Squash
If you haven’t tried spaghetti squash you are in for a treat! This Tex-Mex Baked Spaghetti Squash is stuffed with protein-packed beans and antioxident rich salsa. Toss in some fresh cilantro and top it all off with some spice and you have a delicious dinner.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (preferably fresh)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese or non-vegan
- 1 pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F and line your baking sheet with parchment.
2. Cut the squash in half, rub with inside with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt & pepper. Place face down on the baking sheet & bake for about 25-30 minutes. The edges will be a little browned and you should be able to shred it easily with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, toss the chili powder, cilantro, and cayenne into the salsa.
4. When the squash is ready, take it out and let it stand for 5 minutes. Turn the oven to the broiler setting. Shred the squash but leave the shell intact.
5. Transfer the spaghetti squash shreds to a mixing bowl. Stir in the salsa and beans. Split the mixture in half and stuff each squash shell. Top with the shredded vegan or non vegan cheese.
6. Broil until bubbly and browned. About 3-4 minutes.
Tip: Having trouble cutting your squash in half? Microwave the entire squash for 5 minutes or so, then cut. BE CAREFUL! It will be HOT! Let it cool and use oven mitts.