My neighbor brought me two ginormous zucchini, so I thought I would try to create a new recipe. I think it’s delish. Best of all it has some nutrition! If you are giving up sugar for the week, you might want to wait on making these or try stevia- sorry.
Serves 12 or lots of mini muffins!
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/4 cup agave or honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups zucchini – finely shredded
1 – 1 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (if zucchini is wet use less; dry use more)
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease or line a muffin pan.
2. Combine flours, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Mix zucchini, agave, sugar, almond milk, and vanilla.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and slowly combine.
5. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. It will be very full.
7. Bake for 5 minutes @ 425.
8. Decrease temperature to 375 (leave the muffins in the oven) and bake for 10 minutes.
9. Decrease temperature to 350 (leave the muffins in the oven) and bake for 5 minutes.
10.Cool and enjoy!
The temperature decreases are necessary to achieve a giant, yummy muffin! If making mini muffins, change to 4 minutes @ 425; 7 minutes @ 375; and 4 minutes @ 350.