We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You know why? Because it’s true! Eating a breakfast packed with protein, complex carbohydrates, and fiber will help get your metabolism going. It will also help you keep the muscle that you already have instead of burning it for energy.
- Get protein into your breakfast. I like MRM or SunWarrior protein for shakes or smoothies. Good news – neither of those brands have saturated fat or cholesterol!
- Eat complex carbs for breakfast. Simple carbohydrates like most cereals, pop-tarts, and donuts are broken down easily and cause a spike in your sugar levels. Complex carbohydrates (oatmeal, bran, beans, whole grains) take longer for your body to break down and don’t cause spikes in blood sugar.
- 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats (instant = processed = not as good for you)
- Place in a bowl and cover with water.
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Mix in 1 tbsp of peanut butter or whatever nut/seed butter you like
- Mix in 1 scoop of protein powder
- Stir and add non-dairy milk if you like it thin
- Add any berries or fruit that you like (blueberries are yummy)
2. Creamsicle Shake
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 frozen banana (a great use for too ripe bananas)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional, but they are a good complete protein)
- A splash of orange juice
- Blend and enjoy fairly quickly because the chia seeds expand.
- Plain non-dairy yogurt – almond or coconut are good choices
- Mix in nuts, seeds, berries, raisins, hemp seed (another complete protein).
4. Apple slices or a banana with peanut butter or sunflower seed butter. (Told you these were quick!)
5. Broiled Grapefruit
- Cut the grapefruit in half and section.
- Sprinkle with stevia, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, agave, whatever you like
- Put the halves sweetened side up on a cookie sheet, place in oven and seton broil for a few minutes. Pair with a glass of almond milk or a protein
- Shake and you have a great breakfast!
If you are running out the door and have absolutely no time (better planning tomorrow) then grab a Lara bar or Kind bar.
Fuel your body well, it’s the only one you have!