Share and spread healthy recipes!
Vegan BBQ and grilling recipes for your next summer party, picnic, get-together, or potluck that will make your next veggie barbecue cookout the best!
60+ Incredible Vegan BBQ Recipes for Grilling
You’re all set this BBQ season with these vegan Summer recipes. You can enjoy light Summer meals that are great for vegetarians or vegans with this healthy roundup of amazing vegan main dishes, sides, and desserts.
When I used to weigh 125 pounds more, I would eat everything at a BBQ. Now that I eat a vegan diet I typically bring my own food to BBQs. Most people want to accommodate vegans and vegetarians when they grill, but they just don’t know what to serve.
Well, these vegan bbq recipes are for those that eat a vegan diet and those that want to serve delicious, healthy vegan bbq options. There are so many delicious and simple homemade vegan recipes for BBQs that you might have a hard time deciding which healthy bbq recipe you want to try first!
Your BBQ is going to be amazing with vegan and vegetarian side dishes for BBQs, vegan salads, tofu, vegan skewers, and even vegan desserts like this Best Ever Sugar Free Blueberry Slab Pie! Most of these recipes are simple to make and will have everyone, including meat eaters raving and asking for seconds.
Table of Contents
…so let’s get the grill fired up for this vegan BBQ!
Click on the link below the picture to see the actual recipe.
Vegan BBQ Recipes & Grilling Recipes for the Main Course
These vegan “pulled pork” inspired sandwiches feature sweet & smoky BBQ spiced jackfruit topped with a creamy coleslaw!
The most ridiculously tender and moist on the inside, crispy and crunchy on the outside vegan chicken you ever had.
Fire up the barbecue and make Teriyaki Tofu Skewers! They’re easy to prepare with fresh pineapple, red bell pepper, and onion. The perfect vegan option for grilling season, serve them over rice or your favorite grain for a complete meal.
These vegan BBQ tempeh ribs are sticky, smoky, sweet and satisfying. This tasty tempeh dish is great for vegans and vegetarians as well as omnivores who are looking to eat less meat.
Make this simple and delicious Peri Peri marinade to flavor your grilled seitan chicken and serve over a crisp salad.
These marinated tempeh “steaks” can be grilled, baked, or sautéed for an easy meal with a ton of serving options!
This warm, juicy vegan jackfruit sandwich will satisfy your cravings for BBQ pulled pork and comfort food in one go.
These healthy grilled Vegetable Kebabs are the best way to cook your veggies! Paleo/Whole30, easy to make + delicious – get ready to fire up your grill!
Did you know you can cook vegan curry on a barbecue grill in foil packets? This complete meal is as fun to make as it is delicious to eat. And don’t forget the easy non-dairy yogurt sauce for serving.
Veggie kabobs are a great way to add more veg to your next barbecue party. The flavors and the colors will make your meal feel like a real celebration!
Incredibly juicy, sticky, and succulent, these amazing vegan BBQ seitan ribs will please even non-vegans! It is easy to make, fuss-free, and ready in no time.
This vegan BBQ tempeh is the BEST way to enjoy tempeh. The tempeh gets pan-fried until golden and crispy and then coated in a sweet but tangy and smoky BBQ sauce. And takes just 20 minutes!
Light up the grill for these vegetable kebabs with cilantro chimichurri. They can be a nice side dish or load up for a full meal that’s vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
This flavor-packed baked BBQ tofu is first marinated in a mixture of vegan barbecue sauce, tamari, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika before being oven-baked and then smothered in more barbecue sauce. Perfect alone, over rice or quinoa, on a salad or grain bowl or in a wrap.
These grilled tofu skewers are delicious vegan bbq skewers that are packed with teriyaki flavor and yummy goodness.
Veggie Skewers made with zucchini, red onion, and bell peppers are grilled to perfection and drizzled with tangy balsamic vinegar and brushed with a fresh garlic herb sauce. Hello, Summer!
Fire up the grill this summer and make these simple but delicious grilled tofu skewers! With these tips, you’ll have perfectly grilled tofu: chewy, charred, and crispy! Take them over the top by serving them with one of five different flavorful sauce options.
EAT TO LOSE!
Vegan BBQ Recipes – Burgers
This veggie burger is smokey, savory and sensational! This vegan bbq recipe is incredibly flavorful and so easy to make. They freeze well, so you can make a big batch and grab one when you have a busy day. Porcini Pecan Vegan Burgers are great for a meatless meal and will be a hit at your gathering or cookout!
These chipotle black bean burgers are filled with poblano peppers and adobo sauce for a meatless burger with plenty of spicy flavor!
These spicy vegan black bean burgers make the perfect easy and healthy meal that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes! Made with oats, corn and BBQ sauce, this plant based burger recipe is packed with a delicious smokey Southwest flavour.
This flavorful southwest black burger is made with spices, salsa, and sweet corn with a creamy mouthwatering burger sauce on top. It’s a delicious burger you can make in less than 30 minutes!
These easy Chickpea Patties make the perfect easy dinner in Spring and Summer. They’re quick to make, can be spicy or mild according to your tastebuds, and are also totally gluten-free.
The tastiest vegan burger ever! Full of black beans & mushrooms, with the extra meatiness of seitan!
These Gluten-Free Vegan Black Bean Burgers are a veggie burger recipe that is amazing! This vegan bbq recipe is flavorful with a touch of heat from poblano peppers and is so easy to make.
EAT TO LOSE!
Vegan BBQ Recipes -Vegetarian and Vegan Side Dishes and Salads
Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Maple Mustard Vinaigrette has thinly sliced raw Brussels sprouts and cabbage, plus apple and a maple mustard dressing for added sweetness. This slaw is topped with chopped pecans for extra crunch. It will be a hit at your gathering!
Grilled Baby Potatoes are a delicious addition to any meal! Slightly charred and crispy outside and creamy and sweet on the inside, they will be your most requested side this summer!
With just 10 ingredients and less than 30 minutes, this Grilled Corn Salad is a foolproof side dish or light lunch for summer.
Thick tender slices of eggplant coated with a smokey dry rub, perfectly charred and glazed with your favorite BBQ sauce! Serve as a great vegetarian entree for summer barbecues or a quick & easy vegetable side dish!
This Avocado Pasta Salad is one that’ll be different than all the others on the cookout table. It’s creamy, bright, packed full of (hidden) spinach, healthy pasta salad that just happens to be vegan friendly!
These Smoked Vegetables make a delicious and easy side dish. This recipe is versatile, full of flavor, and perfect for your pellet grill or smoker!
Imagine a smoky and charred eggplant, its skin blackened and crackling as it yields to the touch, revealing a soft and creamy interior. The eggplant is then sliced into thick rounds and arranged on a plate, each slice glistening with the bright tang of vinegar and the sparkle of diced tomatoes, onions, and fresh herbs.
Fresh zucchini sliced and tossed in a delicious combination of olive oil, sweet onions, with fragrant herbs and spices, then smoked to tender flavorful perfection with the help of a cast-iron skillet and served as a mouthwatering side dish that is ideal for any summertime event.
The charred & smokey flavors of this tender grilled cabbage recipe make it a perfect quick & easy side dish that’s ready in 10 minutes!
They are creamy on the inside with deliciously crispy skin on the outside. Finish them off with all of your favorite toppings.
Fresh corn cobs, grilled with a herby Mexican lime marinade, coated in a plant-based Brazil nut cotija cheese, and slathered with tangy ancho chili mayo.
Packed with smokey tomato flavor, these tomatoes work perfectly in salads, pasta, or as a tasty smoky tomato sauce.
Just as creamy as classic potato salad but so much better for you and more flavorful! This mayo-free vegan potato salad features perfectly tender potatoes coated in a creamy, tangy dressing that’s packed with fun flavors and takes just 30 minutes. Perfect side dish for BBQs, potlucks, and picnics.
Fresh sweetcorn is quartered lengthways, seasoned and then roasted to tender perfection.
This creamy, dreamy Grilled Potato Salad Recipe is easy to make with just 5 ingredients, with NO MAYO.
As the warm weather settles in, there’s nothing better than this Strawberry Balsamic Vegan Tofu Pasta Salad with vibrant, juicy strawberries, marinated balsamic tofu, fresh spinach & basil, and creamy feta cheese.
Fresh broccolini is tossed with olive oil, lemon, red pepper flakes, and salt, then charred on the grill. This light and tasty side dish is perfect for summertime grilling!
With just a few ingredients you will be enjoying a week’s worth of these savory, flavorful, and smoky baked beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Perfectly Grilled Corn on the Cob is very juicy and pairs so well with creamy vegan avocado dill dressing. Easy and impressive recipe for your summer barbecue!
Grilled Vegetables in Foil are healthy, easy and simple to make! A delicious vegetable medley on the grill is the perfect side dish to any meal. Learn how to make these foil grill packets that are paleo, keto and whole30 friendly!
Miso Glazed Grilled Veggies is a quick and easy vegetable recipe loaded with nutrients and perfect for weeknight dinners.
Grilled Green Beans are tender and smoky with crisp edges. Just toss the green beans in a simple mixture of oil, herbs and spices then transfer to a grilling basket / pan.
Take your BBQ to the next level without oil or mayo in this delicious animal friendly classic.
Lightly charred and drizzled with a spicy sauce bursting with Asian flavors, Grilled Bok Choy is a quick and easy side dish that just might steal the show at your dinner table this summer.
This grilled green vegetable salad is the perfect accompaniment to your summer BBQ. The recipe is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, Paleo, and Whole30 friendly.
Cold Italian Pasta Salad
The cold pasta salad you love, with tri-colored pasta, fresh veggies, and a healthy homemade Italian dressing! A super easy and quick meat-free vegetarian and dairy-free recipe that’s a perfect side dish to feed any crowd!
This Swedish Pizza Salad is made with simple ingredients and is the perfect healthy side dish for pizza, grilled meats, and more. This vinaigrette-style cabbage salad is light, low carb, and stores well for up to a week!
This vegan German Potato Salad is the best summer side dish! With creamy red potatoes, sautéed onions and celery, and a tangy mustard-vinegar dressing, it’s bursting with flavor and perfect for warmer days.
This Sesame Soba Noodle Salad is a new family favorite! Not only is it ready in 15 minutes and it’s great to make in advance, but it’s also packed full of veggies and protein, making it the perfect hearty cold noodle salad!
The best Classic American Macaroni Salad now with a perfectly gluten-free, vegan, and top 8 allergy-free recipe! Summer isn’t complete without this traditional BBQ and grilling cookout essential pasta side dish!
This is one of my favourite grilled sides. It is quick and easy, just put it on the grill for 5 minutes and it’s done.
This Sweet Potato Salad is an amazing twist on traditional potato salad. It’s full of sweet, tangy flavor and is a hit at potlucks and picnics!
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!
Vegan BBQ Recipes – Desserts
These Grilled Pineapples are the ultimate summer side dish that will perfectly complement any of your grilled or fried dishes! If you are looking for an affordable, easy to make, and healthy treat to brighten your backyard cookouts, beach BBQ party, or family picnics and bring the taste of summer to your plate, then this grilled tropical fruit recipe is for you.
These rich and creamy avocado fudgesicles will blow away your tastebuds, but they won’t blow your diet! Each decadent bite will satisfy your chocolate craving while keeping you on track.
Meltingly soft and sweet grilled nectarines that magically create their own buttery, caramel-y sauce while cooking. A simple yet decadent grilled vegan dessert!
This creamy fruit salsa is a crowd-pleaser at get-togethers, potlucks, and parties! Best of all it’s quick and easy to make and full of healthy flavor!
This grilled pineapple slices recipe is going to be a new summertime treat! A fresh fruit recipe that can be an easy side dish or healthy dessert!
These Skinny Caramel Coffee Popsicles have a rich coffee flavor with bits of creamy caramel interlaced throughout. It’s a delicious dessert that is dairy-free, naturally sweetened, and vegan. You can feel good about cooling off with one of these frozen treats!
Is BBQ sauce vegan?
Whether BBQ sauce is vegan or not depends on the specific ingredients used in its preparation. Traditional BBQ sauces often contain ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, which typically includes anchovies or fish derivatives.
However, many brands offer vegan BBQ sauce options that are specifically formulated without animal-derived ingredients. These vegan BBQ sauces typically use plant-based substitutes for Worcestershire sauce and may include ingredients like tomato paste, vinegar, sweeteners, and spices.
How to cook vegan burgers on BBQ?
To cook vegan burgers on the BBQ, follow these steps:
- Preheat the BBQ: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. This allows it to reach the optimal temperature for cooking vegan burgers.
- Prepare the burgers: If using store-bought vegan burgers, follow the package instructions for any pre-cooking steps. If making homemade vegan burgers, prepare the patties according to your chosen recipe. Ensure the patties are firm enough to hold their shape on the grill.
- Oil the grill: Lightly brush the grill grates with oil to prevent the vegan burgers from sticking.
- Place the burgers on the grill: Carefully place the vegan burgers on the preheated grill. Close the lid if your BBQ has one. Allow space between each patty to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the burgers: Grill the vegan burgers for approximately 4-6 minutes per side, depending on their thickness. Avoid pressing down on the patties with a spatula as this can cause them to lose moisture and texture.
- Monitor the heat: Keep an eye on the grill temperature and adjust it if necessary to prevent burning or charring. Lower the heat slightly if the burgers are cooking too quickly.
- Flip the burgers: After the first side is cooked, carefully flip the vegan burgers using a spatula. Cook the other side for an additional 4-6 minutes.
- Check for doneness: To ensure the vegan burgers are cooked through, use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature. The recommended temperature may vary depending on the ingredients, but most vegan burgers are safe to consume when the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C).
- Remove from the grill: Once cooked, carefully remove the vegan burgers from the grill using a spatula and transfer them to a plate or serving platter.
- Rest and serve: Allow the vegan burgers to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps them retain moisture and allows the flavors to settle. Serve the grilled vegan burgers on buns with your preferred toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, and condiments, and enjoy!
Remember to follow any specific instructions provided with store-bought vegan burgers and adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed based on the thickness and composition of the patties.
What can or does a vegan eat at a BBQ?
All of the above vegan bbq recipes!
If you still need more ideas if you are attending a BBQ as a vegan or if you have a vegan coming to your party, there are various delicious options to enjoy. Here are some ideas for vegan-friendly BBQ foods:
- Veggie Burgers: Look for vegan burger patties made from ingredients such as beans, lentils, vegetables, grains, or soy. Grill them and serve them on a bun with your favorite toppings.
- Plant-Based Sausages: Many brands offer vegan sausages made from plant proteins like soy, wheat, or pea protein. Grill them and serve them on a bun or alongside other BBQ dishes.
- Grilled Vegetables: Fire up the grill and cook an assortment of colorful vegetables such as peppers, zucchini, eggplant, corn on the cob, mushrooms, or asparagus. Season them with herbs, spices, and a drizzle of olive oil for added flavor.
- Tofu or Tempeh Skewers: Marinate tofu or tempeh cubes in your favorite BBQ sauce or seasoning, thread them onto skewers, and grill until they develop a delicious char.
- BBQ Jackfruit: Jackfruit has a texture similar to pulled pork when cooked. Use canned or pre-seasoned jackfruit in BBQ sauce and grill or pan-fry it for a flavorful and satisfying option.
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms: Portobello mushroom caps can be marinated and grilled to create a hearty, meaty texture. Serve them on buns as a burger alternative or as a flavorful side dish.
- Vegan Kebabs: Create colorful skewers using a combination of marinated vegetables, tofu, tempeh, or plant-based protein alternatives. Grill them to perfection and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Salads and Sides: Bring or prepare vegan-friendly salads, such as a refreshing green salad, coleslaw made with vegan mayo, quinoa salad, or pasta salad with vegetables. Other sides like grilled corn, baked beans, or roasted potatoes can also complement the meal.
- Grilled Fruit: Don’t forget dessert! Grilling fruits like pineapple, peaches, or watermelon can bring out their natural sweetness and add a unique twist to your BBQ. Serve them on their own or as a topping for vegan ice cream.
Remember, communication is key. If you’re attending a BBQ hosted by others, inform them of your dietary preferences and offer to bring some vegan dishes to share. It’s a great opportunity to showcase delicious plant-based options and ensure there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
What tools do you need for BBQ or grilling?
When cooking vegan BBQ recipes having the right tools can make your cooking experience more enjoyable and efficient. Here are some essential tools to consider for a vegan BBQ:
- BBQ Grill: Choose a high-quality grill that suits your needs, whether it’s a gas grill, charcoal grill, or electric grill. Look for a grill with adjustable temperature control and sufficient cooking space.
- Grilling Utensils: Invest in a set of long-handled grilling utensils, including a spatula, tongs, grilling fork, and grill brush for cleaning. Opt for stainless steel or heat-resistant materials that can withstand high temperatures. This is a nice set.
- Grilling Basket: A grilling basket or mesh grill pan is handy for cooking smaller or delicate items like vegetables, tofu, or vegan kebabs. It prevents ingredients from falling through the grates and makes flipping easier. This rolling grilling basket is amazing!
- BBQ Sauce Brush: A silicone brush or basting brush is useful for applying marinades, BBQ sauces, or glazes onto your vegan BBQ creations.
- Grill Mat: Consider using a grill mat or reusable grill mat to prevent food from sticking to the grates and make cleanup easier. It’s particularly useful when grilling more delicate items like veggie burgers. This one is heavy-duty!
- Skewers: Stainless steel or bamboo skewers are handy for making vegan kebabs or grilling smaller ingredients like tofu cubes, vegetables, or fruit. These flat kabob skewers are great!
Remember to follow safety precautions when using BBQ tools and always handle hot surfaces and utensils with care.
Hey, I’m Cindy! I used to be morbidly obese! I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a family history of heart disease and cancer.
Slowly, I began to steadily change my habits and nourish my body with a plant-based diet. Now, I weigh 125 lbs less, my blood pressure is 110/70, no more high cholesterol, and best of all – no medications!
If you’re interested in how I did it and if it will work for you, check out How to Start a Plant-Based Diet.
Or if you just want to dip your toe into plant-based eating… snack smart with one of these fantastic recipes for FREE!
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!