Share and Spread Healthy Recipes!
This 3 Ingredient Salad is the perfect side dish for any summer meal and you can make it in 10 minutes. With simple ingredients like perfectly ripe tomatoes, slices of onion, crisp cucumbers, and a spicy sweet homemade dressing, this summer salad is sure to be a family favorite!
Is there anything better than a summer ripe tomato? You can taste the sweet saltiness with every juicy bite. This salad pairs that flavor with the bite of a good onion and the crispness of cool cucumbers for an incredible, yet simple salad.
If you have a bumper crop of tomatoes you will love this soup!
- Why you will love this 3 ingredient salad
- More Healthy Salad Recipes
- 3 Ingredient Salad Key Ingredients
- Fat free salad dressing recipe
- How to make this Easy 3 Ingredient Salad – Fire and Ice Tomato Salad Recipe
- Serving Suggestions
- Troubleshooting & FAQ’s
- Recipe for Easy 3 Ingredient Salad – Fire and Ice Tomato Salad
- Easy 3 Ingredient Fire & Ice Salad Recipe
- What you need to make this Easy 3 Ingredient Fire & Ice Salad Recipe
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!
Why you will love this 3 ingredient salad
- It’s light and bursting with fresh flavor. You will get the “fire” of red pepper flakes and cayenne mixed with the “icy” of cool cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes.
- It’s an easy salad to make and can be thrown together in a matter of minutes!
- You can make it heartier by adding quinoa, rice, or penne for a pasta salad
More Healthy Salad Recipes
3 Ingredient Salad Key Ingredients
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
What really makes this 3 Ingredient Salad so special is the simple list of ingredients and the homemade salad dressing tastes like sweet heat.
- Tomatoes – I use full-grown tomatoes, but you can use cherry tomatoes.
- Onions – Use your favorite – white, yellow, or red onion. I don’t suggest green onions because they will probably get soggy and limp.
- Cucumbers – You can peel them if you want, but I like keeping it simple and leaving the peel on. Plus you get the fiber.
Fat free salad dressing recipe
This 3 Ingredient salad dressing is spicy and sweet, but if you prefer a little less heat, omit the cayenne pepper. I also love that this salad dressing has no oil.
- Sugar – It helps balance the heat of the red pepper flakes and cayenne. You might be able to use a sugar substitute, but I haven’t tried one.
- Seasoning – Red Pepper Flakes and Cayenne
- Apple Cider Vinegar – I suggest using apple cider vinegar with the “mother” in it, but you can use white vinegar if you prefer.
How to make this Easy 3 Ingredient Salad – Fire and Ice Tomato Salad Recipe
This fresh vegetables salad recipe is a great option to take to a summer cookout or for summer lunches and dinners. Make it the day before and let the flavors meld for a truly delicious salad.
What I love most about this salad is how easily it all comes together! Here are the steps to make it.
- In a large salad bowl, add chopped tomato and sliced onion. You could add the cucumbers now, however, they will absorb the heat from the salad dressing. If you prefer less heat and more “ice” you can slice and add them right before serving.
- Combine vinegar, water, cayenne, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Pour homemade salad dressing over tomatoes and onions. Stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add sliced cucumbers before serving (unless previously added).
Here’s a detailed step-by-step instruction with photos to make this Easy 3 Ingredient Salad:
Step One: Prep the Vegetables
Chop the tomatoes and thinly slice the onion. Add those ingredients to a large salad bowl. You could add the cucumbers now, however, they will absorb the heat from the salad dressing. If you prefer less heat I suggest adding them right before serving.
Step Two: Make the Oil Free Salad Dressing
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add vinegar, water, cayenne, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
Step Three: Add Dressing and Toss
Carefully pour the homemade 3 ingredient salad dressing over the tomatoes and onion. Gently toss to combine.
Step Four: Refrigerate
Place salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. The longer it sits the stronger the flavor will become.
Step Five: Add Cucumbers and Serve
If you didn’t add them in step one, then slice the cucumber and add it now. Toss and serve.
When you’re ready to serve this tomato salad with cucumber and onion you can add pasta, quinoa, or rice to make it more hearty and filling if you want to take it to the next level.
You can season it with salt and black pepper if you feel it needs it or try this Homemade Salt Substitute.
You could serve it over fresh ingredients like salad greens or a kale salad. But I bet a simple slice of Italian bread and a large bowl of this Fire and Ice Tomato Salad will become your favorite thing.
EAT TO LOSE!
Troubleshooting & FAQ’s
This summer salad is so simple and easy that you shouldn’t have any problems, but if you do these tips should help.
It’s too spicy
You can omit the cayenne and/or cut back on the red pepper flakes.
How long does this cucumber salad last in the fridge?
This salad will stay fresh and crunchy for up to three days in the fridge. After that, it becomes a little soggy.
Here’s a pro tip: I always whip it up the night before so it has time to soak up the tangy vinegar goodness. Trust me, the flavors meld together perfectly.
How many servings of vegetables are in salad?
This 3 ingredient salad has eight – 1/2 cup servings. If you would like more information here is the FDA nutrition information for raw vegetables.
Recipe for Easy 3 Ingredient Salad – Fire and Ice Tomato Salad
Easy 3 Ingredient Fire & Ice Salad Recipe
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
Fat Free Salad Dressing Recipe
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and onion, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, water, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minute.
- Pour fat free salad dressing over the tomatoes and onions. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- Add sliced cucumber and toss to coat. Serve cold.
What you need to make this Easy 3 Ingredient Fire & Ice Salad Recipe
Pin this Easy 3 Ingredient Fire & Ice Salad for later!
This Fire and Ice 3 Ingredient Salad is perfect to take to BBQ’s and get-togethers. You will also love these 60+ Incredible Vegan BBQ Recipes!
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!
Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a medical professional. The information provided on this blog is based on my personal experiences and research as a vegan recipe enthusiast. While I strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare professional or a registered dietitian before making any significant changes to your diet, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns. The recipes and tips shared on this blog are meant for general informational purposes and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical advice. Always prioritize your health and well-being by seeking personalized guidance from a qualified healthcare provider.