Share and spread healthy recipes!Jump to Recipe
It doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe! This healthy tomato soup is simple to make and takes only 20 Minutes! This plant-based soup is the perfect low-carb lunch or dinner. It’s low-fat, low-calorie, dairy-free, and vegan. It’s great for meal prep and it’s freezer friendly!
This Vegan Tomato Soup is so simple to make, but so complex in flavor. I highly recommend using garden fresh tomatoes when possible, they will send this soup over the top with flavor.
VEGAN TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
Do you remember eating canned tomato soup? Maybe you still do.
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I used to LOVE that soup! It was an easy meal. I usually paired it with a greasy grilled cheese, so it would be over-the-top unhealthy, however I thought it was a light meal.
The classic brand canned tomato soup is only 225 calories a can and its no fat, but did you know it has over 50% of the daily SODIUM recommendation? Did you also know that it has 30 grams of SUGAR?! That’s is 7 and a half teaspoons!
Plus, it has high fructose corn syrup which has been linked to serious health issues like obesity, diabetes and heart disease. It also has NATURAL FLAVORING, which may or may not be monosodium glutamate, aka MSG. MSG can cause all sorts of reactions like headaches, facial pressure, numbness, drowsiness and tingling. If you’ve ever experienced a reaction to MSG you know you want to avoid it.
I decided to make my own Vegetable Bouillon Powder and make this Simple 20 Minute Tomato Soup as healthy as possible.
This vegetable bouillon powder adds incredible flavor to soups, stock, and chowders, plus it is quick and easy to make. You can feel good about this healthy bouillon because it is free from chemicals and additives.
IS VEGAN TOMATO SOUP HEALTHY?
When you cook at home you are in control of the ingredients. We’re not putting HFCS or MSG in it, so it’s definitely better than canned.
This soup is low fat, no cholesterol, dairy free, and low calorie, but oh, so good!
ARE TOMATOES HEALTHY?
Onto the recipe…
Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe | Simple 20 Minute Soup
- 12 garden fresh tomatoes could sub a 28 oz canned tomatoes
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth https://intentionallyeat.com/vegetable-bouillon-powder/
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat broiler on high.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2" slices and place on cookie sheet. Place unpeeled garlic cloves on cookie sheet. Spray tomatoes and garlic with olive oil. Broil on high for 5 minutes.
- While broiling tomatoes and garlic, saute onion in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add broiled tomatoes to the onions and continue to cook over medium heat. Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin and place in pot with tomatoes and onions.
- Add veggie stock, tomato sauce, sugar, basil, salt & pepper. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Use a stick blender or carefully place soup in a blender (it's hot so blend in small batches if using a blender) and puree until smooth. Strain if you want a smoother texture (but you're losing fiber) and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN TOMATO SOUP
- Vegan Focaccia | Best No Knead Recipe
- The Best Healthy Biscuits
- Garden Salad That Lasts All Week
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding – you have to have dessert!
REMEMBER TO PIN THIS VEGAN TOMATO SOUP RECIPE FOR LATER!
Equipment used in this Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe:
Hey, I’m Cindy! I used to be morbidly obese! I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a family history of heart disease and cancer.
Slowly, I began to steadily change my habits and nourish my body with a plant-based diet. Now, I weigh 125 lbs less, my blood pressure is 110/70, no more high cholesterol, and best of all – no medications!
If you’re interested in how I did it and if it will work for you, check out How to Start a Plant-Based Diet.
Or if you just want to dip your toe into plant-based eating… snack smart with one of these fantastic recipes for FREE!
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!