Share and Spread Healthy Recipes!
Please note this post may contain affiliate links that do not impact the cost to you but give me a small commission. Thank you for your support!
This homemade taco seasoning mix is made with ingredients like the classic Old El Paso taco seasoning, but healthier and better. This DIY taco seasoning brings that bold flavor to your Taco Tuesday or any time you want Mexican-inspired flavors.
What they are saying about this copycat Old El Paso taco seasoning recipe
It was so simple to make and I had everything in my spice cabinet!
The Perfect Blend of Spices
This healthier copycat version of Old El Paso taco seasoning recipe is a game-changer if you care about food additives. By creating your own seasoning mix, you can have complete control over what goes into it, avoiding excessive salt, artificial additives, and preservatives commonly found in store-bought taco seasoning.
If you have a gluten sensitivity you need to be cautious of any spice blends or mixes, as they may contain gluten-containing additives. Be sure to check the ingredient list and label to see if it is marked gluten-free. You don’t have to worry with this mild taco seasoning because most spices are naturally gluten-free.
I created this copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning recipe because my husband is sensitive to MSG. Even though it isn’t listed as an ingredient, “natural flavor” is listed and that can mean MSG among other things.
I want to be able to savor the delicious kick of a good taco seasoning while knowing exactly what we are putting into our bodies.
Plus, with this spice blend you can customize it to suit your taste preferences, making it milder or spicier, and even adjusting the salt content.
It’s a simple switch that empowers you to enjoy the same great taste you’ve come to love but with the added benefits of healthier ingredients with this homemade old el paso taco seasoning recipe.
If you love Mexican food you will love using this spice mix in these Black Bean & Pumpkin Enchiladas!
If you want to create more of your own spice blends, check these out:
- What they are saying about this copycat Old El Paso taco seasoning recipe
- The Perfect Blend of Spices
- What you will love about this copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Ingredients
- How to make this taco seasoning recipe
- What is in the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning?
- Is the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix gluten-free?
- Where to use this homemade taco seasoning
- Serving Suggestions
- Copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Recipe (Healthy)
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!
What you will love about this copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Control Over Ingredients: With a homemade, healthier version of Old El Paso taco seasoning, you have full control over the ingredients. You can skip the excessive salt and avoid artificial additives and preservatives that are often present in commercial mixes. This means you’re making a conscious choice for better health.
- Customizable Flavors: You can tailor the seasoning mix to your taste preferences. Whether you like it mild or extra spicy, you have the flexibility to adjust the spice levels to create the perfect blend for your tacos or Mexican dishes.
- Transparency and Freshness: By making your own homemade taco seasoning mix you’ll always know what’s in it, and you can enjoy the vibrant flavorful seasonings of fresh spices. It’s a great way to take your meals to the next level.
This copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning mix combines convenience, flavor, and nutrition, making it a top choice for anyone seeking a wholesome and delicious spice blend.
Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Ingredients
You can find the full printable recipe card, including ingredient quantities and nutrition information below.
But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this delicious spice blend.
What really makes this taco seasoning spice mix recipe so special are the wholesome, simple ingredients that happen to make it gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, plus the versatility of adding or subtracting for your heat preference.
- Chili powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper or White pepper – I used white pepper because I like the flavor of it. Some think it is milder than black pepper, but I think it tastes smoother.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Mexican oregano or dried oregano
- Optional – Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
EAT TO LOSE!
How to make this taco seasoning recipe
This homemade taco seasoning is going to become one of your favorite spice blends. The best part is how easily it all comes together!
Here are the steps to make it:
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Stir well to combine the spices.
- Transfer the taco seasoning mix to an airtight container or a Mason jar. Label the container with the date and name.
- To use the homemade taco seasoning mix, add 3 Tablespoons to 16 ounces of plant-based protein (such as crumbled extra firm tofu, black beans or cooked lentils). Adjust the amount according to your tastes.
What is in the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning?
Per the ingredient list on the package it has – Chili Pepper, Corn Starch, Salt, Onion Powder, Maltodextrin, Spice, Sea Salt (Potassium Magnesium Chloride, Salt), Contain 2 % or Less of: Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil and/or Soybean Oil), Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Citric Acid, Sugar (Adds a Trivial Amount of Sugar), Natural Flavor.
Is the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix gluten-free?
It is not labeled gluten-free, but it is free from gluten-containing ingredients. However, it has “natural flavor” and doesn’t list what that might be, so those with gluten sensitivity should be cautious.
Where to use this homemade taco seasoning
You can use this taco seasoning mix anywhere you want Tex-Mex flavor. You can replace the chili powder, cumin, garlic, and onion powder with the spice blend in the recipes listed below.
There are endless options. Taco seasoning can be used in a variety of dishes to add delicious Tex-Mex inspired flavors. Here are some common and creative ways to use taco seasoning:
- Tacos: This one is a no-brainer. Use taco seasoning to season flavorful taco filling. Just sprinkle the seasoning mix on the protein while cooking and adjust the amount according to your taste preferences.
- Fajitas: Add a delightful kick to your fajitas by incorporating this taco seasoning mix. Toss the seasoning with sliced bell peppers, fresh onion, and your choice of plant-based protein (such as soy curls, seitan, or black beans) before sautéing them in a skillet.
- Burritos: Sprinkle some homemade taco seasoning mix into your burrio filling to enhance the flavors.
- Nachos: Take your nachos to the next level by adding this spice blend to the bean mixture. The spices will infuse the entire dish with a mouthwatering flavor.
- Roasted Vegetables: Sprinkle this taco seasoning over your favorite vegetables before roasting them in the oven. This will give the vegetables a delightful spicy and smoky flavor.
- Soup and Stews: Add a tablespoon or two of taco seasoning mix to soups and stews. It will add depth and complexity to the broth, making it more satisfying.
- Dips: Enhance your favorite dips, like guacamole or this spicy cashew cheese dip, with a dash of taco seasoning. It adds a zesty twist that pairs perfectly with chips or veggies.
- Burgers: Mix taco seasoning into your black bean burger patties for a tasty Tex-Mex twist. It’s a fantastic way to jazz up your homemade burgers.
- Stir-Fries: Elevate your stir-fry game by adding taco seasoning to your choice of protein and veggies. The spices will infuse every bite with Mexican flair.
Feel free to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with this taco seasoning in all your favorite Tex-Mex dishes.
If you like this recipe remember to leave a 5 star rating and let me know how it went in the below comments, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see all my delicious recipes.
Copycat Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Recipe (Healthy)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano or dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black or white pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or red chili pepper flakes optional
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the taco seasoning mix to an airtight container or a Mason jar.
- To use the homemade taco seasoning mix, add 3 Tablespoons to 16 ounces of plant-based protein (such as crumbled extra firm tofu, black beans or cooked lentils). Enjoy!
Pin this for later
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Snacks, Smoothies, & Desserts mini-cookbook now!
Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a medical professional. The information provided on this blog is based on my personal experiences and research as a vegan recipe enthusiast. While I strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare professional or a registered dietitian before making any significant changes to your diet, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns. The recipes and tips shared on this blog are meant for general informational purposes and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical advice. Always prioritize your health and well-being by seeking personalized guidance from a qualified healthcare provider.