Jackfruit Red Pozole is a healthier version of the traditional spicy Mexican stew. This flavorful soup has a deep spicy, not fiery, finish that will envelop you like a warm hug. It’s also low calorie, low fat, vegan and easy to make!
Jackfruit Red Pozole
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I loved opening a can of tamales. You read that right, a CAN of tamales. I would eat the entire can myself plus wash it down with a liter of soda. Now that I know better, I make this Jackfruit Red Pozole soup, so I can get the flavor of the tamales, but I can control the amount of sodium, fat and calories. Plus I love that I’m not ingesting all of the preservatives and chemicals found in those tamales.
This Jackfruit Red Pozole has hominy, as do most traditional versions. Never had hominy? Learn all about it HERE.
If you can’t find hominy in your store, you can always use garbanzo beans or corn instead or leave it out. Either way its delicious!
Tastes: bold, spicy, inviting
Feels like: a sunset in Mexico
Onto the recipe!
Jackfruit Red Pozole
- 5 guajillo peppers, cleaned, seeded and deveined
- 5 ancho peppers, cleaned, seeded and deveined
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 2 cans hominy, drained and rinsed 15 ounces each
- 1 can jackfruit, shredded
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded optional garnish
- 1 cup radish, sliced optional garnish
- 1 cup onion, chopped optional garnish
- 1 avocado, chopped optional garnish
- Mexican oregano optional garnish
- Soak the guajillo and ancho peppers in water for 30 minutes until soft.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend peppers, garlic cloves, onion and oregano. Add 1/4 cup or more of soaking water if mixture is too thick. Puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add pepper puree and jackfruit. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add water, vegetable bouillon, and hominy and continue simmering for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, garnish as desired and enjoy!
This Jackfruit Red Pozole has only 139 calories per serving!
It’s loaded with fiber and will keep you satisfied and happy. You and your guests will love it. I enjoy serving a smaller portion along side tacos, enchiladas or Jackfruit Verde.
You can even freeze this Jackfruit Red Pozole!
Save yourself some time, make extra soup and freeze it for a future protein-packed meal. I love these BPA free, Locking Lid Containers for storing leftovers. You could even store individual portions in Mason jars for a quick healthy lunch.
Remember to PIN this for later!
If you love this soup, check out this Black Bean Soup – Quick & Easy!
It’s fat-free, low calorie and delicious!
Looking for the peppers used in this recipe?
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.