This creamy clam-less vegan chowder is rich and flavorful. This substantial chowder is full of creamy potatoes, chewy mushrooms and the taste of the sea. It will satisfy everyone since its cholesterol free, dairy-free and vegan.
This Clam-less Vegan Chowder is so creamy you would never know its dairy-free!
I used to love eating a large can of clam chowder (you know the one that claims you could eat it with a fork) before I lost 125 lbs. I didn’t care about calories, chemicals or animals, but things have changed and I know better now. So, I have been trying to perfect a clam-less chowder for several years and I think I finally got it! Try not to be overwhelmed by the amount of ingredients or ingredients that are new to you. This recipe is fairly simple and you can find the ingredients in most grocery stores.
What are oyster mushrooms?
Oyster mushrooms, otherwise known as Pleurotus ostreatus, are one of the most common types of cultivated mushrooms in the world. You should be able to find them in most grocery stores.
What is kombu?
Kombu is an edible kelp. It’s used in a lot of Asian dishes, however we are using it to give the chowder the taste of the sea. I don’t want to say “fishy” taste, because that can conjure up some distasteful ideas, however you get what I mean.
You can find it in the Asian or Ethnic aisle of most grocery stores. If not, just click on the image and you can get it delivered to you.
Is Kombu healthy?
According to Very Well Health, Kombu is naturally rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. It provides plenty of health benefits and is a great source of Iodine. Mostly available fresh or dried, it can also be used in powdered form. Kombu is traditionally used for soups, stocks, and salads. Click HERE to read more.
Clam-less Vegan Chowder
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cups kombu broth or vegetable broth see recipe
- 4 Tbsp white wine optional
- 1 Tbsp dulse flakes optional
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cashew cream see recipe
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups water
- 3 stalks celery, chopped leaves and all
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 strips kombu, dried
- 2 tsp dulse flakes
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- Soak cashews in hot water for the cashew cream.
- While the cashews are soaking Make the Kombu Broth.
- In a medium sized stock pot, bring all the kombu broth ingredients to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until reduced to 4 cups. Strain and set aside for later use.
- While the kombu broth is simmering Make the Clam-less Vegan Chowder.
- In a medium sized stock pot saute onion in 1 Tbsp oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme. Stir to coat. Add white wine or water if you're choosing to omit wine. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the mushrooms soften.
- Remove from heat and transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl for later use.
- Bring celery, potatoes, bay leaf, onion powder, dulse flakes (optional) and kombu or vegetable broth to a boil in a stock pot. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until the potatoes have softened. Discard the bay leaf.
- While the chowder is simmering, make the cashew cream.
- Make the Cashew Cream - rinse the cashews and place them in a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup hot water and blend until creamy.
- Stir the cashew cream into the chowder. Add the mushroom mixture and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Remember to PIN this for later!
If you like soup, check out my MOST POPULAR soup recipe-
Did you make Clam-less Vegan Chowder?
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.