This Mexican Quinoa Skillet is bursting with texture, spice and yumminess. Its a quick and easy weeknight meal made in less than 30 minutes, all in one skillet and its sure to satisfy everyone.
This Mexican Quinoa Skillet is one of my favorite go-to weeknight meals.
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I never ate quinoa. My tastes weren’t very adventurous. I grew up a meat and potatoes girl and didn’t stray from that style of eating very much. However, once I started losing weight I began to develop a taste and a curiosity for different foods. Now that I have lost 125 lbs, I have discovered a lot of delicious foods including quinoa.
Is quinoa good for you?
Healthline.com says, “Quinoa is one of the world’s most popular health foods. It’s gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants.
Click HERE to learn more.
How do you cook quinoa?
Quinoa is simple to cook. You will use a 2:1 ratio of liquid to quinoa, or 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of dry quinoa. I suggest using another liquid besides water, such as vegetable or mushroom broth, in order to make the quinoa more flavorful.
Can you freeze quinoa?
Yes, you can freeze cooked quinoa and its a great healthy life hack! Allow the cooked quinoa to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer safe resealable plastic bag. Press all the air out before sealing, then pat the quinoa into an even layer and freeze.
I like making this meal even easier by using frozen quinoa. If you’re looking for a short cut, check out the Alternative Cooking Method at the bottom of the recipe.
High in Iron, Magnesium, B6, C…
Mexican Quinoa Skillet
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped I prefer purple sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz salsa or diced tomatoes
- Optional avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, tortilla chips, non-dairy cheese
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add sweet potato and onion. Saute for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add cumin and chili powder, stir to coat vegetables.
- Add broth and quinoa. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add salsa and black beans. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Alternative Cooking Method Proceed with steps 1 and 2. Use cooked quinoa in step 3 and omit 1 cup of vegetable broth. Cook for 5 minutes. Proceed with the final steps and enjoy!
Remember to PIN this for later!
If you want even more Mexican, then check out these Black Bean and Pumpkin Enchiladas!
Did you make this Mexican Quinoa Skillet?
Items I used to make this Mexican Quinoa Skillet –
NEED HELP ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
JOIN MY FUN-N-FIT GROUP!
28 MINUTE WORKOUTS, 5X’S A WEEK, IN YOUR HOME
HEALTHY EATING PLAN EVERY WEEK
+ THE SUPPORT YOU NEED
FIND OUT MORE –CLICK HERE.
Looking for like minded people? Join the Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.