This Great Greek Pizza features hummus instead of tomato sauce and its a game changer. You can top this tangy pizza with your favorite veggies and keep it vegan, low fat and healthy.
Great Greek Pizza
What is Greek Pizza?
It can be a style of pizza crust that is baked in a shallow pan. However, my version has everything to do with the toppings and nothing to do with the crust or the pan.
I use The Best Homemade Pizza Crust recipe for my Great Greek Pizza. You will love it! This pizza dough is refined sugar free and makes the perfect pizza, plus you can freeze it for your future pizza nights.
I also use this Velvety Oil Free Hummus instead of tomato sauce as the base to this Greek Pizza. It gives it a savory, rich taste that can't be beat.
How do you make homemade pizza in the oven?
You want to make sure your oven is preheated and very hot. I suggest heating the oven to 500°F or higher. Arrange a rack in the lower-middle part of the oven (if you have a baking stone, place it on the rack) and heat the oven to 500°F or higher.
Do you have to use a pizza stone?
The ceramic material of a pizza stone holds heat more evenly than a metal baking sheet, and the porous surface draws water out of particularly wet areas of the dough as it cooks. Also, when you preheat the stone, it gives the dough a strong burst of initial heat which causes the crust to puff.
However, I still use a metal pizza pan. I have both a pizza pan with holes (this one) and a solid pizza pan (this one). They are both amazing and give the pizza a crispy bottom while still allowing for a doughy, chewy edge.
Can you eat pizza when you are trying to lose weight?
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I loved pizza. I would eat half of a large pizza, breadsticks, some form of chocolate for dessert and wash it down with soda. I still love pizza and enjoy eating it weekly, but now that I know better, I make my own pizza. It allows me to control the amount of sodium, fat and calories. Plus, I love that I’m not ingesting all of the preservatives and chemicals found in fast food pizzas.
Onto the recipe!
Great Greek Pizza
- 1 The Best Homemade Pizza Dough https://intentionallyeat.com/the-best-homemade-pizza-dough
- ⅔ cup Velvety Oil Free Hummus https://intentionallyeat.com/velvety-oil-free-hummus/
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup marinated artichokes, chopped
- ¼ cup olives, black or kalamata
- 1 handful spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 485 degrees.
- Prepare the dough or roll out store bought pizza dough.
- Prepare hummus or use store bought hummus. Spread it evenly over the pizza.
- Spread all of the toppings (except for the spinach leaves) evenly over the pizza. Bake for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, add spinach leaves to the top of the pizza and bake again for approximately 4 more minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Remember to PIN this for later!
If you love this Great Greek Pizza, check out this Tangy Greek Chickpea Salad!
It's loaded with tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onion, olives, and of course, chickpeas. It’s topped with a dressing that’s as easy to make as shaking a bottle of store bought. You’ll have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Did you make Great Greek Pizza?
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.