Once you see how easy it is to make the Best Homemade Pizza Dough you will ditch the delivery. This vegan pizza dough is refined sugar-free and makes the perfect pizza, plus you can freeze it for your future pizza nights.Jump to Recipe
The Best Homemade Pizza Dough
When I weighed nearly 300 lbs, I loved pizza. I would eat half of a large pizza, breadsticks, and some form of chocolate for dessert, and wash it down with soda. I still love pizza and enjoy eating it weekly, but now that I know better, I make my own pizza. It allows me to control the amount of sodium, fat, and calories. Plus, I love that I’m not ingesting all of the preservatives and chemicals found in fast-food pizzas.
How to boost your health and feel vibrant again!
How do you make homemade pizza in the oven?
You want to make sure your oven is preheated and very hot. I suggest heating the oven to 500°F or higher. Arrange a rack in the lower-middle part of the oven (if you have a baking stone, place it on the rack) and heat the oven to 500°F or higher.
Do you have to use a pizza stone?
The ceramic material of a pizza stone holds heat more evenly than a metal baking sheet, and the porous surface draws water out of particularly wet areas of the dough as it cooks. Also, when you preheat the stone, it gives the dough a strong burst of initial heat which causes the crust to puff.
However, I still use a metal pizza pan. I have both a pizza pan with holes (this one) and a solid pizza pan (this one). They are both amazing and give the pizza a crispy bottom while still allowing for a doughy, chewy edge.
Grab your FREE Plant-Based Breakfast mini-cookbook and make sure you’re starting your day right!
Onto the Best Homemade Pizza Dough recipe!
The Best Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/4 oz package of active dry yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (preferably organic)
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil spray
- In a large bowl, dissolve the maple syrup and yeast in 3/4 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F). Let stand for 7-8 minutes.
- Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary to prevent sticking. Dough will feel slightly sticky.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat the top. Cover with a towel and let rise in a draft-free spot until double in size, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and roll into a 10-12 inch circle on a lightly greased pizza pan. Add your favorite toppings and bake at 475 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Remember to PIN this for later!
Check out this great Greek pizza recipe if you love this pizza dough.
It’s cholesterol-free, lower in calories and delicious!
Are you interested in Cooking Classes in Rome?
What better experience is in Italy than the food itself? Everyone loves Italian cuisine, and if you would like to learn to cook as Italians do CLICK HERE.