This Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara is a delicious low calorie version of the typical fat laden one. It’s loaded with smoky marinated mushrooms, so you will never miss the bacon, egg and cheese or the calories!
Think you can’t enjoy pasta while watching your calories? You can with this Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara!
The typical Carbonara is loaded with cholesterol, fat and calories, for instance The Cheesecake Factory’s Pasta Carbonara has 2,290 calories, 81 grams of SATURATED fat (not just fat, they don’t include those numbers on their site). Now you know why it was included in The Daily Meal’s, ‘America’s 15 Unhealthiest Chain Restaurant Dishes’.
I’ve made this Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara with non-dairy milk, mushrooms and zoodles to cut the fat and make it waistline friendly meal!
You can always make it with pasta, too, but if you haven’t tried zucchini noodles (zoodles) give ’em a try. They are surprisingly good!
I also use nutritional yeast to give it a “cheesy” flavor instead of using cheese. It saves tons of calories, cholesterol and fat, plus its an immune booster, complete protein and has B vitamins for healthy skin, hair and nails. You can find it in most grocery stores in the health food section.
Tip – Try it on popcorn for a healthy “cheezy” flavor!
This Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara is savory and satisfying and
only 192 calories!
Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups zoodles (zucchini noodles) or 1/2 lb pasta
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp white or black pepper
- Combine amino acids, maple syrup, vinegar and liquid smoke together in a container. Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes or longer, tossing occasionally. Be sure to reserve 1 Tbsp of marinade for sauce.
- While mushrooms marinate, cut your zoodles or boil pasta according to package directions. If using pasta, toss with a little olive oil and return to pot until ready to use.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for approximately 3 or 4 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms and continue sauteing for 2 more minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Stir almond milk, nutritional yeast, 1 Tbsp of marinade and cornstarch together to create a slurry. Add the slurry to mushroom mixture and stir continuously until it thickens.
- Toss in zoodles or pasta, parsley, red pepper flakes and pepper. Enjoy!
You never have to feel guilty for eating this Healthy Spaghetti Carbonara!
If you love this recipe, you’ll love Kung Pao Cauliflower! You can save tons of calories with this recipe, too!
You’ll notice I used liquid aminos instead of soy sauce. I like the benefits of using them versus using soy sauce. Liquid aminos make the dish gluten free and coconut aminos make it gluten and soy free. You can read more about them at the Mother Nature Network.
Need help on your weight loss journey? Join my Facebook group of Intentional Eaters and find the support you need.