This Overnight French Toast recipe is rich, cinnamon-y, with crispy bits of sugar and so delicious. Make it a day ahead and bake it in the morning for the perfect breakfast on Christmas, holidays, brunch or any old day of the week. This french toast recipe is cholesterol free, dairy free, and vegan, but no one will know it.
This Ultimate Healthy Overnight French Toast is going to be a great addition to your special occasions!
Are you thinking about the holidays yet? Any birthdays coming up? I love cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I don't love all of the calories. My holidays used to consist of pies, candies, cakes, cookies, fudge, and sugary breads before I lost 125 lbs. Now I am pretty particular about what I eat and it better be worth the calories. It's so disappointing when you eat something and you regret it immediately because it just wasn't worth it. Trust me this french toast is worth it. I love making it on Christmas Eve and popping it into the oven on Christmas morning. The house fills with the scent of cinnamon and deliciousness.
Looking for more Holiday Recipes?
What's in vegan french toast?
Vegans can certainly enjoy french toast, provided it has been made without animal products. Most non-vegan french toast calls for eggs, however this Ultimate Healthy Overnight French Toast recipe does not. Sometimes egg replacers can cause the french toast to be gritty or gooey. I suggest using bananas and making sure your bread is REALLY stale for the Ultimate french toast.
Tips for making this Ultimate Healthy Overnight French Toast
To make your french toast as yummy as possible make sure you start with a nice loaf of vegan french bread. Traditional french bread is typically vegan since it is made with flour, yeast, water and salt, however sometimes it will have milk, so be sure to check the ingredients.
Be sure to grease your pan because the sugar will cause the toast to stick.
Make sure your bread is REALLY stale. This is my preference because it causes your toast to come out with chewy bits, as well as, gooey bits. I like the texture, however you can always use a loaf that is just a day old.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Bananas - make sure they are ripe.
- Almond milk - you can use any plant based milk.
- Salt - just a pinch to bring out the sweetness.
- Cornstarch - you can sub arrowroot powder.
- Vegan Butter - I recommend Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or Miyoko's.
- Brown sugar (I suggest organic because some sugars are not vegan since they are sifted through bone char.)
- Vanilla extract - get the best your budget will allow.
- Cinnamon - get the best your budget will allow.
- Nutmeg - grate your own for the ultimate flavor.
- Ginger - a pinch of ground ginger gives this french toast a little zing.
- French Baguette - remember to let it go stale.
- Pecans - you can use walnuts or almonds for a different flavor.
The Ultimate Healthy Overnight French Toast is ...
The Ultimate Healthy Overnight French Toast
- 1 french baguette, stale and torn into large chunks
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- Blend bananas, almond milk, cornstach, cinnamon and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and place the torn bread into the baking pan. Pour the banana mixture over the bread and press to make sure all of the chunks are in the mixture. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add sugar and whisk until dissolved and cook about 5 minutes until mixture is brown and caramel-like. Add pecans, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and salt.
- Spread pecan mixture over the french toast mixture and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Seerve with berries and/or maple syrup. Enjoy!
MORE HOLIDAY RECIPES -
NEED HELP ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY?
JOIN MY FUN-N-FIT GROUP!
28 MINUTE WORKOUTS, 5X’S A WEEK, IN YOUR HOME
HEALTHY EATING PLAN EVERY WEEK
+ THE SUPPORT YOU NEED
FIND OUT MORE –CLICK HERE.